Friday, October 7, 2011

Savoring the moment



All was quiet in the house as everybody was asleep in bed except for me. I was downstairs in the office working on the last minute details for an upcoming HIV/AIDS workshop. I finally decided I was useless for the rest of the night so I headed upstairs to get ready for bed. My oldest daughter Acacia likes to read in bed by the light of her nightlight until she falls asleep. Tonight was no different. I usually go into her room to give her a kiss on the cheek and pet her cat "Lucky" who often sleeps by her side and then I turn out the night light. Tonight she must of been playing out an imaginary community on her floor. There were all sorts of plastic animals, people and make shift buildings scattered across the floor. I partially stepped on what looked like a plastic bed for a 2 inch person. My normal reaction to situations like this is to get upset at how messy her room is and especially when trying to navigate it in the dark without severely injuring myself.
But, I didn't react that way. I stopped and just looked at her peacefully sleeping and scanned over how cute and precious her pretend village looked. I kept thinking to myself that I've got to remember this moment. Remember the sweet innocence of a 10 year old girl. It was all I could do to keep from crying over the fleeting moments in life. Acacia has grown up so fast and I don't want to trivialize those truly special moments.
Someday soon she won't be so innocent and quite possibly have that cynical and somewhat jaded outlook on life like her Dad. Why can't she just stay this age forever!
I know it is selfish of me to want to keep my daughter innocent forever, but time moves at such a rapid rate and they way we live our lives now of days makes me very sad. I guess that is why tonight seems so poignant. I am stopping and taking the time to look at my daughter, really look at her and I appreciate all that she is. I love that her room is a mess and that the light is still on and that the cat is sleeping by her side. It is what being a kid is all about.

I feel sad sometimes when I think how I so often waste time on the computer or TV when my girls are right there growing up before my very eyes.

You can't go back in time to relive what you've missed. These precious moments are but a fleeting glimpse.

What are the moments in your life that are special?

1 comment:

cherish808 said...

hearing the laughter of my children interacting together and wishing those specific moments would last forever. Just yesterday i was listening to them joke with each other and smile. Now this morning we were hit with a tragic message of the sudden death of my sons girlfriend during the exact time we were sharing our laughter.... my heart aches to the fragilness of life and our beloved children. Keep them close and savor everything about them. hug them and kiss them every chance you get....