Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Working Thai














I wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone and this is what I came up with. I decided to combine a language lesson with a photo shoot. It turned out to be very fun and extremely informative. I was able to converse with some very nice people and felt more confident about my language skills. I also felt more connected with the people we are serving. The lady repairing the shoes has lived in Chiang Mai for 32 years and has 5 kids ranging from 13 years old to early 30's. She used to live in Chiang Rai. I believe her name is Pittapon (something like that)I told her about my family and what we are doing here. It was amazing because our entire conversation was in Thai. I also talked to a watch repairman for a while too and took some photos of him as well. It was a very empowering feeling to be able to converse in another language. I then meandered from place to place at the market and struck up conversations with random people working and then took pictures of them. I think this was a great way to reinforce my language classes and a way to build relationships with the Thai people. At the end of all this running around and flapping my gums I needed to eat so I gobbled down a traditional hamburger,fries and a coke and documented it with a self portrait. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Peter Varvel said...

Brett, this was very interesting to read! Congrats' on the newly-honed language skills!
Are Anna and Acacia learning to converse in Thai, too?

Su Bersch said...

Anna - your curls are getting so long. You look like a little elf. Acacia you look like the cutest Santa's helper with your hat on. We put our Christmas tree up this week-end too!
Love and Kisses Aunt Su